Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Day I Stopped Asking Permission


I find myself unemployed, lonely, poor, and quickly losing the self confidence that comes with doing what you're good at, which for me is teaching. I've never exactly been the super confident type anyway, but constantly getting turned down for work and sitting around the house has really been doing a number on my mood. I found myself a few weeks ago becoming so whiny and lethargic that I was pissed off by myself, which only made things worse. I was aimlessly surfing the internet when I ran across the picture you see above (click here for the artist's site). I thought to myself, "Why can't I be more like her? Why can't I be great? Why can't I be badass?" Then I wondered whose permission I was asking for anyway.

The day that my car died while I was grocery shopping was the final straw for me. My situation might suck right now, but I was done being a victim, done being passive, done apologizing for things that aren't my fault, and fucking done with asking permission. I'm launching a new career for myself out of my house because I'm done asking people to hire me, but this sort of thing takes a lot of self confidence and guts which I feel that I'm lacking in at the moment. Along with my new career I decided I needed a new outlook on life. I kept coming back to that picture of the graffiti girl and wishing I could be more like her. The only word I could think of to describe her was "Badass". I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary and this is the definition:
1.Adjective: Used to describe one who totally owns who he/she is, is uninhibited in who they are and doesn't let what other people think affect his/her actions/decisions.

2.Noun: A person who is the best of the best at what they do professionally and/or personally. Being a Badass goes hand-in-hand with being self confident, secure and uninhibited.

I decided that I was the only one in the way of becoming a more self confident badass. Being an organized person who loves making lists I bought a composition book while I was waiting for my car to be towed and started writing. I figure that since I have nothing but time on my hands right now I can reinvent myself as a badass chick with a new awesome career. Since I have a teaching background I thought I'd turn this into a kind of classroom experiment where I break down what I'm doing into steps for other to follow, assign badass homework, and teach about real badass chicks from history. If you've ever wanted to be more self confident, more secure, and generally more of a badass, then join me as I learn "How to be a Badass Chick".

Ms.G

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your posts :) You seem like a total badass chick already :) You should post something else on your current badass stat :P

    ReplyDelete